I just love movies and TV shows that have lots of strong or interesting female characters. Just to even things up a bit. The statistics are pretty depressing. Of the top 100 films of 2016, females comprised 29 percent of the protagonists. And that statistic doesn’t go into whether those characters were stereotypical or not. Sadly, even where women are featured, there isn’t really a good representation of ethnic and racial diversity, but that’s another story.
I’ve just started watching the phenomenally good The Handmaid’s Tale, and I realised there were lots of recent really good films and TV shows with plenty of women in them, so I decided to present a list for anyone else who’s sick of all the boys dominating everything.
- Wonder Woman – the new superhero movie is great on every level. It’s action packed, full of wonderful woman actors, got a story that moves really fast and it’s funny. A must to show your (older) children – boys and girls.
- Jessica Jones – my other favourite female superhero. This show is a little dark and definitely not for kids, but for adults who enjoy a bit of escapism, (and have strong stomachs) this is clever, compelling and smart television.
- Orphan Black – It’s been said that there are only a handful of really great female roles on TV and Tatiana Maslany plays a dozen of them. It’s about clones and it’s terrific but zany sci-fi which, once you start watching, you won’t be able to stop.
- Orange is the New Black – Now in it’s fifth season, this serious soap opera about a women’s prison is still going strong. I was a big fan of the first two seasons.
- Gravity – it might be a few years old now, and have just one female character, but what a role! This is a great film to watch with the lights off and the sound up.