This post is for my friends who have just, or are just about to, turn 40. For various reasons I was the first of a certain group of friends to hit this decade, which I did last year. One of the things I loved about turning 40 was the abundance of love I got from other women who had already hit that milestone, telling me that the 40s was a wonderful decade, that the best was still to come. It was empowering and encouraging, and today I’m doing it for others. So here’s my list of the good bits of hitting 40.
- You’ve spent the last five years dreading turning 40 and guess what? Actually being 40 isn’t nearly as bad as worrying about turning 40.
- For the first time in ages, it’s all about you. You can legitimately claim this birthday as a VERY SPECIAL one, and the kids, siblings, parents and partners can shower you with gifts, love and attention. This doesn’t happen very often, and all too often our birthdays are glossed over BUT NOT THIS TIME BABY!
- Turning 40 can be clarifying. You’re approaching the second half of your life, so you might as well make the most of it. Not happy in your career? Change it! Hate your home? Move! Now is the time to make big changes that will have a lasting, positive impact on your life. I went back to uni and couldn’t be happier.
- Look at your friends. They are probably the ones you’re going to keep forever. If you can stay in touch with your friends right now: in the midst of career, raising kids and keeping house, you’ll manage it for years to come.
- No more BS. Being older brings a wealth of perspective. You can stop putting up with bullying and negativity when you realise you don’t need it anymore.
- Got kids? Chances are, they’re now old enough to help with chores/look after themselves/go to the movies with you to see something enjoyable. Sure, they still need you, but the exhausting 24/7 nature of babies and toddlers is probably behind you at this point (if not – hang in there! It can’t be much longer!)
- All the love from the other ladies who’ve been there before. They’re all telling us the 40s are the best! Listen to them and start to enjoy yourself.
And happy birthday to all the beautiful women turning 40 this year or in the very near future. xx