When I was a kid – well, when I was a tween, not that we had that definition back then – one of my favourite books was a big Reader’s Digest brick that had all these ideas and tips for girls, including home-made face masks, hair treatments and lots of other info they thought girls should have back in the 1980s. I’m not sure it was as practical as Girl Stuff, but I treasured it nonetheless. I’d always be sneaking into the kitchen and pilfering lemons to lighten my hair or eggs to make into a skin treatment.
There’s still part of me that loves the DIY/home pamper day, especially now that time to myself is so scarce. So for others out there who’d like to spend an hour, a day, or even just twenty minutes treating their bodies, here are some great ideas from all over the internet.
1. Foot spa. About ten years ago Choice magazine released a survey that named electronic foot spas as the most useless Christmas gifts ever given, and I’m not convinced that much has changed. But you don’t even need one for the occasional soak. Just get a bucket, fill it with warm water (on a cool day) or cool water (on a hot day), put in some essential oil and just relax in front of the TV or with a good book. A friend of mine swears by this as the perfect way to shake off a stressful day at work.
2. DIY manicure. Some of us love getting away to the nail salon but if you’ve not got time or you’re on a budget, here’s a great step-by-step guide to making your own nails as pretty as they can be.
3. The old clingfilm on conditioner on hair trick. Leave it for 20 minutes, then rinse and enjoy your lovely soft hair. You could also use coconut oil.
4. Add essential oil either to your bath or even to a face-washer and use it in the shower.
5. Dim the lights, use candles (real or electronic) and breathe slowly. Try to meditate or just do something that makes you feel happy, like read a magazine or a feel-good book. Try to avoid caffeine for the day but stay hydrated with water and herbal tea.